Thursday 8 December 2016

Happy Stories from Uganda: Eric the Vet



There was another one, a vet, that used to be like every other vet. In fact I remember his group of volunteers coming to a team brainstorm a few weeks back saying that they had no ideas; they couldn’t see how they would innovate this business to make it different from others. It's important to us that we don't simply promote copycat businesses but vets make sick animals well, you can’t change that fact (at least not without losing customers!) It was quite a challenge.
 At the time I remember comparing the traditional model of vets to private healthcare (i.e. you pay on a case by case basis when you get ill) and I suggested they try a more NHS-ish style business model whereby the customers pay a retainer to the vet every month, who receives money whether or not the animals are sick but then also comes out to the farm when needed and also does checkups so that preventative healthcare is possible. I didn’t hear any more from the group on this subject and, if I'm honest, I forgot all about it.
I was therefore fantastically surprised when one of the other pitching panels told me yesterday that the most impressive entrepreneur they’d seen was a vet called Eric who had secured 6 contracts with farms, doing checkups etc, making sure that animals didn't get sick, rather than just treating them once it was too late. He wanted money to buy new stocks of drugs for the animals and we decided to give him the full amount that he asked for.


No comments:

Post a Comment