Tuesday 28 June 2016

Mosquito nets or me : One of us is ridiculous


It's the first night in Kenya and I'm tucked up in bed under 1 million blankets because as everyone repeatedly tells us, this is a very cold part of Kenya. It doesn't feel it to me. I also dutifully checked between every one of those blankets for extra terrestrial spiders.

I was quite excited about the prospect of sleeping under a mosquito net. I imagined it to be like a 4 poster bed with ornings. The trouble is that there are no posts on the bed and so it is very much like lying under a net. Simply like a caught fish. The novelty has worn off and I haven't even gone to sleep yet.

Note from the first morning: I fidgeted too much in the night and pulled the net off the ceiling. This was a vast improvement. When I woke up I found I wasn't under it any more which is probably how I managed to go to sleep. It's not relaxing to be smothered in netting.

Note from the 7th morning: I eventually learnt how to use a mosquito net. When I moved from hostel to host home the set up was quite different. The net comes down from the ceiling and tucked in around the mattress, to make a cosy den for the sleeper in the middle. It is very much like a 4 poster bed after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment