Wednesday 23 December 2015

A glimpse inside St Helier Hospital this Christmastime






This weekend I went to see mum in hospital. She tells me that no one in her ward is really ill (something to do with their campaign to all get sent home in time for Christmas). As if to prove it, on the eve of my visit all the patients decided to have a pyjama party in which they wore their PJs, sat in their beds and collectively watched strictly come dancing while shouting at the screen. The beautiful (heart wrenching) irony is that they spend all day in pyjamas confined to beds anyway.

I was relieved to see that she looked relatively chirpy when I arrived and as we got chatting she told me that her biggest problem was the extremely uncomfortable stent* in her hand that was administering intravenous antibiotics (not ill are we? It’s not many people ill enough to receive intravenous antibiotics that consider a stent to be the most of their problems, bless her).
As if in perfect demonstration that she’d regained her usual character (even if not health) we did manage to talk non stop for several hours, only interrupted once by a lovely lady in the bed opposite who was exceptionally pleased to tell us that she’d just discovered that the sterilising wipes could be used as make up remover. I’m not 100% sure that disinfectant is something that should be put in one’s eye, but in the absence of certainty I didn’t want to bring her cheerful demeanour down by saying so. This lady has been in hospital for over a month and her muscles have wasted away. I assumed she was planning to go home for Christmas too but didn’t like to ask.

What really struck me was that at such a difficult juncture in their year, all the patients were so cheerful (staff too!) It made me think about all I had to be grateful for. It also made me want to come back on Christmas day to personally make sure that everyone had a friendly visitor! Before I left mum confided that she was planning to go home in 2 days time, but “the consultants don’t know yet”. However, I’m very happy to say that much to our surprise it didn't take that long and she was released the very next day.

That said, if anyone did ask me to go and do some St Helier Hospital cheer spreading on Christmas day, I wouldn’t need asking twice!




* For anyone happy enough to have no use for such vocabularly thus far, a stent is a little tube which in this case was sticking out of the back of mum's hand. It allows the doctors to attach a drip to it on a daily basis and saves them the trouble of having to pierce the poor patients anew every time they wish to do so.



No comments:

Post a Comment