Monday 31 October 2016

A Baby and Breakfast



This morning for breakfast I was brought some watermelon, some tea, 2 samosas and a baby! The baby was a beautiful African child, about 2 days old. I don’t know what made it intrinsically beautiful, it certainly wasn’t its face, but it slept peacefully in my arms for a bit until I was quite unsure what to do with it. Emma had rushed off to meet her first entrepreneur and Emily, having overcome her initial insomniatic tendencies, is still fast asleep. It amazes me that any mother would let her newborn child be taken away by a neighbor to be deposited on the lap of a total stranger. In our culture babies are rather like phones: we like to keep an eye on them to make sure they aren’t being stolen (having already accidentally stolen one in Kenya,  I didn't want to repeat the crime!)

At long last someone came to clear away the breakfast plates and I managed to pass the baby on.


No comments:

Post a Comment