Thursday 19 November 2015

National benevolence is confusing HMRC


It’s so hard to tax my car! It’s almost as if the government don’t want me to (actually, this is probably true, then they can fine me for not having done so). It may not help that all my post comes to me via my parents' house and so has to be rerouted. This could be how I came to miss all the reminder letters. Their online service was the obvious way to renew my tax disc, but as is always the case with HMRC, I couldn't login because they (as always) had posted me some set of essential and confidential number that I couldn't find. Then on the phone I was told that the code I’d (by then) received wasn't the code I’d received (which it obviously was, as I wouldn’t have got it any other way). It was due to expire within 24 hours of the call anyway so I went to the post office to speak to a real human and they told me they couldn’t do anything unless I could prove ownership of the car. WTF?! As if I’d go to such great effort to tax someone else’s car!! What kind of crazy benevolent culture do HMRC think we live in?! It must be nice in the UK tax HQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment